Capitol Hill Village Virtual Programming
CHV Events Move Virtual – check the calendar to see what’s new.
To prevent the spread of the coronavirus, CHV will be holding some events virtually. Affinity group leaders are given the option to host their meetings through a platform called Zoom. Through Zoom, participants can choose to attend groups either by phone (landline or cell phone), or through computer where they will have access to video.
- For video access each program will have an unique web link. Once the link is clicked, you will need to click the pop up reading “open zoom meetings” and then “join with computer audio”.
- All phone meetings will have the phone number +1-929-205-6099 and an event specific member ID. All CHV virtual events will be featured on the CHV website calendar that will provide clear instructions on how to access the event.
To watch zoom tutorial videos go to this webpage: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials
Or another option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9isp3qPeQ0E
So far, there have been several Village events that will hosted via Zoom with great success! Check back to the Village calendar to learn of new virtual events added.
If you would like to host a CHV event virtually, please contact Jacquelyn Smith at 202-543-1778 or email@example.com to help you organize your event specific information.
Other Virtual Programming
Check Around Town DC, DC’s official website of events targeted to individuals age 60 and older, which has recently added a large number of online activities.
Exercise & Wellness Programs
GiveFit is making all of their online workout programs 100% FREE for the foreseeable future.
Go to givefit.org/log-in to workout
It includes the following programs:
-Seated Core & Cardio
-Otago Balance Improvement
-Seated Lower Body & Cardio
-Introductory Chair Fitness
There’s an exercise program on Channel 16 from 9am-3pm for the general public and healthy seniors.
YMCA Fit & Well Senior Exercises Class
Exercise and yoga studios are offering online classes, many through Zoom including:
- Hot Yoga Capitol Hill (hotyogacapitolhill.com)
- East Side Yoga (eastsideyogadc.com)
- H Street’s Core Power Yoga (corepoweryoga.com)
- Southwest’s District Flow Yoga (districtflowyoga.com)
Free Online, On-Demand Fitness Classes
A Complete Online Listing of on-demand classes designed for seniors of all fitness levels from a national senior living company, Erickson Living.
Local Store Offerings
Businesses have taken the precaution of closing their shop floors, but many have created curbside pick-up services. Just call or email the shops to place your order, then call when you pull up and they will bring your items to you (some even suggest pop the trunk or open a window). You can use this service to get:
- Books from Solid State DC (600 H St. NE, www.solidstatebooksdc.com, 202-897-4201)
- Games from Labyrinth Puzzles & Games (labyrinthgameshop.com, 202-544-1059); request curbside pickup or delivery—which will be $5 within five miles of the store and $10 within 5-10 miles.
- Hardware supplies from Frager’s (1115 Pennsylvania Ave SE, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-543-6157).
- Bike repair from the Daily Rider (600 H St NE, thedailyriderdc.com, 202-396-0704). Call or text them, tell them what’s up and they’ll give you instructions where to leave your bike.
Arts & Culture
Virtual Museum Tours
Visit museums around the world in the comfort of your own living room! Check out this article with links that will direct you to virtual tours. From the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam to the National Museum of Modern Art in Seoul – your afternoon will fly by.
artsandculture.google.com provides access to virtual tours and online exhibits from 2500 museums and galleries around the world.
broadwayhd.com is a place to stream all your favorite Broadway hits for about $10 / month.
Learn a new language
Have you always wanted to learn a second language? Duolingo is a great place to start. Pass these hours at home by brushing up on your Spanish skills or learn Japanese!
Calling all animal lovers! Check out Alaska’s live webcam viewings of the state’s most beautiful creatures, like the Round Island walrus.
Dupont Circle Village has done the community a great “service” (pun intended!) by posting a list of faith communities providing online, streaming and televised programming. Click here or go to https://dcv.clubexpress.com/ and select COVID-19 for the menu options.